Residence Permit in Portugal

Conditions to Obtain Residence Permit in Portugal

The conditions to obtain a residence permit in Portugal vary according to the applicant's nationality and the purpose of their stay. However, there are some general requirements that apply to all cases:

General Requirements

  • Valid Passport: Your passport must be valid for at least three months after the expiration date of your residence permit.
  • Means of Subsistence: You must have proof of sufficient means of subsistence to support yourself during your stay in Portugal.
  • Accommodation: You must have suitable accommodation in Portugal.
  • Health Insurance: You must have valid health insurance that covers your stay in Portugal.
  • Clean Criminal Record: You must not have any criminal record.

Types of Residence Permits

There are different types of residence permits in Portugal, each with its own specific requirements. The most common types are:

  • Residence Permit for Study: This permit is for students who wish to study in Portugal.
  • Residence Permit for Work: This permit is for workers who wish to work in Portugal.
  • Residence Permit for Family Reunification: This permit is for family members of Portuguese citizens or permanent residents in Portugal.
  • Residence Permit for Investment: This permit is for investors who wish to invest in Portugal.

Application Process

The application process for a residence permit in Portugal can be done online or at a Portuguese consular office in your home country. The process usually involves filling out an application form, submitting supporting documents, and paying an application fee.

For More Information

For more information about the conditions to obtain a residence permit in Portugal, you can consult the following resources:

  • Portuguese Immigration and Borders Service (SEF) Portal
  • Embassy or Consulate of Portugal in your home country
  • Specialized immigration websites


The above information is for informational purposes only and should not be considered as legal advice. It is always recommended to consult an immigration lawyer for specific guidance on your case.